Right to Buy is a government scheme which gives tenants of social housing the opportunity to buy their home at a reduced price; the initiative is available to anyone who has been a council/ public sector tenant for at least five years in total. The discount available is based on how long you have been a tenant, the location and type of the property.
You will qualify if:
- the property is your main home
- you have not been ordered by a court to leave the property
- you are not being declared bankrupt
- you are not an undischarged bankrupt
- the property is self-contained
- you do not owe money to creditors
The law surrounding Right to Buy can be complex so it’s important to obtain expert legal advice from a legal professional with experience of the Right to Buy scheme.
For more information, please contact our residential property teams in Halifax, Brighouse and Huddersfield.