Wilkinson Woodward has been trading from premises in Halifax since 1886, when the town was still a formidable force in the world textile industry. Since then, we've evolved into one of West Yorkshire’s most established and trusted legal practices.
Over a history spanning in excess of 47,000 days of trading, we've witnessed many changes. The practice was founded in 1886 by local solicitor Robert Wilkinson. He was succeeded in May 1936 by Gordon Woodward who was joined two months later by Harry Ludlam, when the name “Wilkinson Woodward & Ludlam” was adopted. Harry went on to become Mayor of Halifax and was a highly respected and well-known figure in the town.
Throughout the middle of the twentieth century Wilkinson Woodward & Ludlam continued to expand, although the intervening war years saw legal careers put on hold as several members of staff were drafted up to support the war effort.
Harry’s son, David Ludlam remained at the firm until the mid-1980s, when the name reverted to Wilkinson Woodward.
In 2000, we opened an office on Market Street in Hudderfield, which merged with Norcliffe and Co in 2012 and now operates from our premises in Queen Street. The following year, Wilkinson Woodward merged with Boococks solicitors and estate agents. We're still proud partners of this local independent lettings and estate agency. In 2013, we merged with Bearders solicitors, taking over Bearders’ offices in King Street, Brighouse.
Today, with a team of over thirty lawyers and fifty support staff spanning our three offices in Halifax, Huddersfield and Brighouse, our main focus remains on serving the communities of Calderdale and Kirklees. We have long standing ties with several local charities including Overgate Hospice, The Next Step Trust, Working Wonders and The RSPCA.